The Tacoma City Council is looking to fill seven positions on the Community’s Police Advisory Committee, consisting of one youth position, one position for Council District No. 4, and five At-Large positions.
The Community’s Police Advisory Committee is an advisory panel to the City Council as it pertains to Tacoma Police Department (TPD) policy. The Committee is responsible for the following:
• Reviewing police policy, procedures, rules, training, completed investigations, and programs at the request of the City Council or City Manager
• Promoting awareness of the public complaint process, and receiving and reviewing policy complaints by members of the public
• Providing advice to the City Council, the City Manager, and the Chief of Police on police policy, procedures, rules, training, and programs
• Fostering understanding between TPD and the community, and promoting TPD services and resources
• Convening community conversations on services, programs, policy, procedures, rules, training, and issues of public safety
Members of the Community’s Police Advisory Committee are recommended by the Community Vitality and Safety Committee and appointed by the City Council. The Committee is comprised of 11 members; one member from each City Council District, five members from the general community, one youth member age 16-18, and at least 40 percent of its members are individuals representing traditionally underrepresented communities.
Qualified applicants will be residents of Tacoma, not hold any other elective public office, not currently serve as a member of the Tacoma Police Department, or be an immediate family member of a department employee.
Applications must be submitted to the City Clerk’s Office by end of day Thursday, October 7, 2021. To apply, please visit www.cityoftacoma.org/cbcapplication. For questions about the application process, to request the application in an alternate format, or to submit additional documents, please contact Katie Foster in the City Clerk’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (253) 591-5505.