By Jamie Elmore
The New Year 2018 has begun! Can you believe how time passes us by so quickly?
Some of us have had some major losses, whether they were relationships, finances, a loved one and a host of other things. Some of us have had some major triumphs in 2017 as well.
I believe it’s important to stop and look back over the previous year and process what has taken place. It is very important for us to do that so we can move forward and not carry any baggage with us into the New Year. We must be intentional in every area of our lives. Intentional- deliberate, conscious, done on purpose, purposeful, willful, choice. We must look at where we are today, how we spend our time, talents and resources. We must ask ourselves a few questions and be intentional when we answer. Our self-talk is one of the most important, powerful conversations that we have on a daily basis. What are we saying? Do we hear ourselves? Will we listen?
There are a few questions we should ask ourselves for the New Year and we have to be honest where we want to see change and improvements. It’s our life!
You can call it a New Year’s resolution, goal setting or proper planning. Whatever it is, let’s be clear and intentional. I have listed a few areas for us to think about and ask the intentional questions.
- Health- are we doing the necessary things to stay healthy? Eating the right foods, proper nutrition. 6-8 hours of sleep (I’m working on that lol…) 6-8 glasses of water daily. Exercising 3-5 days a week ( keeping the body moving just move)
- Finances- are we getting out of debt? Do we owe family and or friends (pay them back) Do we pay our bills on time. Are we paying ourselves first by putting money in our savings account and or an IRA for our future?
- Forgiveness- Have we forgiven ourselves? Do we need to forgive someone else?
- Relationships- Do we spend quality time with our-selves? (me time) Do we spend quality time with our spouse? Do we have girl time? Do we have boy time? ( lol …quality time with the fellas)
- Do we have toxic relationships? ( if so we need to sever them quickly)
- Children- If we have children how much time are we spending with them?
- Do we need to say the word NO when we say Yes! (we don’t have to be a people pleaser)
At the end of the day we all have to stand in the mirror and have the conversation with ourselves. Do we like what we see and are we going to make the necessary changes in the New Year by being intentional?