17 C
Tuesday, August 3, 2021

In Loving Memory Of Louise Slade

Louise Slade

Louise Slade was born on July 19,1931. She was the 2nd child to the union of Julia Moore and Walter Russell. Slade grew up in Marion, AL on her grandfather, Jim Moore’s farm. Her sister, cousins, and friends were her playmates. She spoke often of her grandfather and his role in the community. He owned lots of property in Marion and the family still owns it today.

Slade’s mother later moved her family to Birmingham, AL, where she attended elementary school and graduated from high school. While in high school, she met Jimmie Moreland, who she later married and from their union bore two children, Ricky and Rebra. Slade decided to move her family to Seattle, WA in search of better job opportunities, following in the footsteps of her sister-in-laws Vivian and Katie. Upon arrival Slade took a job as a live-in housekeeper and after a short stay with family she moved into her own place.

Slade worked various jobs, one of them being at Swedish Hospital. While working at the hospital she met and married Harden Slade. To this union two children were born, Harnette and Larnette. Slade worked hard and enrolled in Seattle Opportunities Industrialization Center (SOIC) so she could get a better paying job. After school, Slade applied and went to work at Washington Mutual Saving Bank, formerly known as WAMU and now known as Chase Bank. She loved her job and was a dedicated employee. Slade retired after 25-plus years of service. During her time, she served as a Safe Deposit Box Clerk, responsible for training others, she was eventually promoted to lead. She was also instrumental in bringing the WAMU School Savings Account to the public.

Slade joined People’s Institutional Baptist Church immediately after moving to Seattle, where she was a faithful member over 68 years until her death. She was a dedicated member of the Sunday School, Gospel Chorus, Women’s Ministry, supported the youth, and played the tambourine for various choirs. She faithfully attended Sunday afternoon services supporting her Pastor and other ministries of the church. She loved to sing and would burst loudly into song whenever the spirit moved her.

Slade loved to travel and her family owned a camper and a boat. They were members of the Rainier Rambler RV Club for many years and spent one weekend a month fellowshipping with other families all over the Pacific Northwest. Fishing, clam digging, playing games, hiking, and camp-fires were some of the activities she enjoyed with her family. Slade traveled annually to see her mother in Alabama. During many of her summer visits her sister Rosabell met her there and they spent time together. She was also able to connect with her half-brother, Henry, as an adult and visited him and his family often. Slade took two cruises to Alaska with family and friends and she often spoke of the fond memories she had.

The family house was always a place that out-of-town guests came to. Slade always made them feel comfortable and provided them with a freshly made bed and home cooked meals. Slade was an excellent cook and she had her dinner ready before she went to work each morning, eating out was unheard of. She spoiled many with her cookies, cakes, pies, and home-made ice cream. Sunday dinners at the family house continued many years after the children were grown.

After retirement, she began attending the Central Area Senior Center where she participated in sewing and guitar classes. She went often for lunch and became a volunteer assisting in the kitchen. She loved helping people, spending a lot of time volunteering in her community and visiting the sick and shut in from church. Even as her health began to fail, she would still make her way to visit and offer a prayer. She was always picking up someone for church, taking them to the store or taking them home after a function. Slade’s greatest Love was her family, which she would do anything for. She spent time volunteering in classrooms, going to sporting events, graduations, weddings, births, school events, camping trips, and family gatherings. Slade was the “life of the party”. She enjoyed making people laugh and having a good time. Slade had a unique fashion style all of her own. She shopped at thrift and high-end stores. She was always clean and well put together from head to toe. She really got into the holidays and dressed for the occasion.

In December 2012, she was diagnosed with dementia. While it altered where she lived and shifted her personal responsibilities to her children, it did not change her quality of life and those she impacted. Slade was lovingly cared for by her four children who made the decision to love on her, and that they did. After 4 ½ years of being cared for by family she started going to Full Life Care. She was welcomed by all and they enjoyed having her around. She insisted on being called “RED” (childhood nickname) and she called them “MY PEOPLE”. The program and its staff were excellent and provided Slade with a safe place where she could express herself and interact socially with others.

Unfortunately, in 2020 Covid-19 struck our world and everything shut down. During that time, Slade remained in the care of her children. In January 2021, she fell ill with Covid-19, but being the fighter that she is she recovered from it. During this time Slade brought healing to her family. She solidified the bond that would be necessary for them to continue in this world without her. Most of all she gave them the greatest gift a mother could give her children besides life, introducing them to her God and teaching them to have their own personal relationships with him. She taught them that he would be the friend who would stick with them until the end. In May and June, Slade made a few additional trips to the hospital as her health began to rapidly decline and her children remained by her side. She went home to be with her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ surrounded by her family.

Slade was preceded in death by her parents, siblings, husband, son-in-law, Glenn, and great-grandson, D’Mario. Left to cherish her memories are her son; Ricky (Barbara) daughters; Rebra, Harnette (Johnny), and Larnette, cousins; Alberta, Deborah, and Kerwin (CA) and Barbara and Terri (AL), In-Laws; Mary (Richard), Charles, Gene (Clarice), Yvonne, Ruby, Fannie, and Michael, grandchildren; Shaleese, Cazzie, Nikki, Tiffanie (David) (IN), Glenn II, Brittany, DaRaine, Gregory, Malik, and Mariette, great-grandchildren; Keyanna, Jordan, Keyandra, Jazmynn, Da-jhonte, Roger, DeShawn, Davion, Angelique, Ashtyn, Daveah, Gizelle, DaRaine Jr., and Gia, great-great-grandchildren; Anthony, Melody, Khalil, Khamari, Ra’Kari, and A’miyah. She also leaves a multitude of nieces, nephews, other family, and friends.

Must Read

Athletes Reveal What Was Behind Decision To Share Olympic Gold

Italy's Gianmarco Tamberi and Qatar's Mutaz Essa Barshim decided to share the gold medal in the men's high jump in the Tokyo Olympic Games in an unprecedented move that prompted cheers around the world for their sportsmanship.