57.8 F
Saturday, May 21, 2022

Kennewick Puts An End To O’Dea’s Quest For A State Championship

By RayJaun Stelly, The Seattle Medium

As only eight remain, sights of the final four are so close teams’ can see it, with Eastside Catholic Crusaders awaiting their next opponent O’Dea and Kennewick matched up to determine just that.

With the Fighting Irish ranked third, and Lions ranked sixth, both teams with no more than two losses on their season. The win or go home stage was set, and each team looked to end one another’s advancement.

Kennewick answered first with a 66-yard drive down field which resulted in a quarterback sneak by Dayton Davis, and that ignited the Lions as a unit.

Kennewick cornerback Jose Guzman intercepted an O’Dea pass which put their offense back in scoring position after the turnover.

Capitalizing off the turnover, Kennewick running back Myles Mayovsky received the snap and rushed into the endzone, as the Lions scored 13 unanswered points against the Fighting Irish in the games’ opening quarter.

O’Dea, who only allowed 13 points in their game last week, desperately needed to answer before the game got out of reach.

Coming up with a stop against Kennewick’s fake punt attempt, the Fighting Irish had put themselves in scoring position and Jason Brown, Jr. delivered as he ran for a 2-yard touchdown.

Going into halftime down by six points, O’Dea answered quickly starting the third quarter with a 65-yard touchdown run by running back Khalil Holiday giving his team a 14-13 lead.

However, the celebration for O’Dea was short-lived as Kennewick would seize momentum of the game. Davis put together a drive that included a 75-yard pass to Simeon Howard, that setup a 10-yard touchdown pass to Bronson Childs. The drive was capped off with a successful two-point conversion.

After regaining control of the game, the Lions continued to thrive against O’Dea’s defense. After forcing another punt by O’Dea, Kennewick’s Dayton Davis found himself in the endzone on a goal line quarterback sneak play call, and just like that Kennewick had their second 13-point lead of the game.

Trailing 27-14 as they entered the fourth quarter, O’Dea didn’t necessarily panic, but time wasn’t completely on their side.

Brown would keep the Fighting Irish’s hopes alive with a 24-yard touchdown run to cut the lead down to 6. The play set the stage for O’Dea’s defense to make a play in order to have an opportunity to win.

O’Dea’s Dayne Camacho sacked Kennewick’s quarterback with 3:36 left in regulation, and now the game had reached the point of whoever had the last possession could potentially win.

The Fighting Irish attempted to make their way down field. It came down to 4th and 1, and a botched snap led to a fumble that was recovered by Kennewick. The Lions would run the clock out, take the victory formation and once the horn sounded off they had upset O’Dea, 27-21.               

With the win, Kennewick advanced to a semifinal matchup against 3A runner up Eastside Catholic next week.

Must Read

What Are Your Thought Or Reactions To The Buffalo Shooting?

"From my perspective nothing has changed. Different means same results. Racism and prejudice are a part of the fabric that makes up human nature. Being an African American and enigma that we are makes us an easy target of hate."